For years, the question of which is better – treadmill or running outside has remained a raging debate between people. Many think there is a single straightforward answer to that question. But the truth is, the right answer depends on each individual’s health, goals, and the environment. Since there is no universal answer to this age-old question, you need to decide what is right for you. To help you with that, this article has some factors for you to consider. Later you will also get to know the pros and cons of both choices.
Factors to consider to find the right place to run
Local Conditions The local weather, terrain, and safety of the outside environment are some things the individual has to consider first. If they are not in a good state, it is better to run inside on a treadmill. Otherwise, if you want fresh air to breeze through your hair, go ahead with outdoor running.
- Fitness Level
Each runner’s needs are different, and to meet them, running will also need to be different. For an injured person, it is not good to run outdoors. That is why the fitness of the individual should be into consideration when choosing the place.
- Training Goals
For different runners, they have a different variety of goals. Some want to win marathons while others want to lose weight. Some take up running to stay fit. To reach whatever goals the runners have, the decision on where to run must be made accordingly. Always purchase a good budget treadmill for better performance.
Running outside – what you need to know?
- The Pros
Running outside comes with its pros which makes it a favourable choice for many people. The following are some of the advantages that you can get from running outside.
- Outside running mimics race conditions which are good especially for marathon runners.
- A runner will burn more calories than running inside.
- Improves bone density.
- The Cons
Some are obvious, while other cons take time to notice. Some of them are:
- Not suitable for people with injuries or illness. Also, not recommendable for people who are in the recovery phase.
- The outside terrain will not always be suitable for the runner. Like in the treadmill, this cannot be changed.
Running on a treadmill – is it good?
- The Pros
This machine became highly popular because of the advantages it offers. Some of them are:
- Since you are running indoor, no need to worry about the weather or the outside environment.
- Easy to monitor the progress and the speed of running.
- The Cons
Some cons that people say about treadmills are:
- People say that fewer calories get burned when you run on a treadmill. But with a little adjustment to the incline settings, you can burn more calories.
- For tall runners, they will have difficulty with their strides.
There is no doubt that both are good in their way. So, each runner has to this personal decision according to their needs and preferences.